Friday, May 14, 2010

Dilly Bread


I think bread baking should be done in the morning. I hadn't baked bread in quite some time, but want to get back into it. It can be the freshest, healthiest way to eat it. I decided to take an old family favorite and put a healthier spin on it. We've always loved my mom's dilly bread, so here it is followed by my healthier changes:


1 package yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup cottage cheese, heated to lukewarm
1 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tablespoon dill seed
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 1/2 to 4 cups flour


Soften yeast in water. In mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, sugar, onion, dill seed, salt and egg. Add yeast. Add enought flour to form still dough. Knead about 15 minutes. Let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size (50 to 60 minutes). Sir down and let rise a second time. Grease and flour loaf pan or pans. Shape into loaf or loaves and place in pan(s). Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes until golden brown. Brush with soft butter.




So I used organic whole wheat flour and some organic milled flax seed and I brushed it with olive oil. It's not as light as the original recipe, but that is to be expected. It is yummy! I think it made a pretty, rustic loaf and I will do it again. I took some of the dough and made 2 hot dog buns for Jim and I to have for supper. So tonight slaw dogs on whole wheat dilly buns!

No comments: