Friday, June 3, 2011

A Few Words and Pix on Yarn Bombing

International Yarnbombing day is almost here
June 11th(that also happens to be my dad's 91st birthday.)



Here's the wiki definition:


yarn bombing, yarnbombing, yarnstorming, guerrilla knitting, or graffiti knitting is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colorful displays of knitted or crocheted cloth rather than paint or chalk.





As a textile artist and (seasoned) crocheter yarn bombing intrigues me. But I don't really think it's anything new. It really reminds me of what I'd like to call 'domestic yarn bombing'. It's been going on for generations. I'm thinking of the doll turned toilet paper cozy that adorned the back of my folks' toilet forever. (Apparently these are back in style.) I decided to make my own version in the form of a coffee cup.

In any event, yarn bombing can be as big as the cover for a tank or as small as a flower or as plain as a band on a pole. Domestic yarn bombing is also the use of crochet for impractical purposes, only in the home. Either way, the hope is it yarn bombing will brighten your day.



No comments: